5 Air-Cleaning Houseplants for the Creative Mind
The creative mind requires oxygen. The effects of meditation and the act of breathing are long known to boost the creative output of the brain. But anyone living in a home with carpets, hardwood floors, linoleum, finished wood products and even paint, are susceptible to urban toxicification. Chemicals such as formaldehyde, benzene, trichloroethylene, xylene and carbon monoxide, are byproducts of many household environments. So, should you, or should you not take that deep breath?
Here is where Mother Nature comes to the rescue! According to NASA, several types of houseplants are blessed with air purifying, detoxifying, and oxygen producing properties. Of that list, these are the 5 must haves for your home/office that are stylish, easy to care for, and provide the maximum amount of clean fresh air.
- Spyder plant (Chlorophytum comosum) This beautiful plant is the best air purifier, requires little light and watering and can hang from the ceiling or decorate a counter or dresser top. Best of all, it reproduces itself making it both fun and easy to spread the wealth throughout the house.
- Snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata) This exotic looking plant is able to absorb carbon dioxide and releases oxygen at while you sleep. It is also very easy to grow making it a perfect bedside companion.
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum) This beauty is a beast at filtering toxins. Yes, it is also easy to grow, and the reward for bringing it into the home is clean air and beautiful flowers.
- English Ivy (Hedra Helix) This hearty vining plant is the number 1 air-filtering houseplant due to its increased formaldehyde removing abilities. Once again, it’s is easy to grow and sits nicely in a hanging pot, or paired with other decorations on a shelf.
- Florist’s chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum morifolium) Alongside the Peace Lily, Mum’s are able to remove ammonia from the air. They require more work that others on the list, and are more succeptible to various insects and disease, but the pay-off: brightly colored floweres packed with inspiration and detoxification.
When it comes to designing your creative cave, form and function reign supreme. These 5 super plants will add beauty and boost the oxygen levels. Get them, place them, breath several times, and get back to creating your next masterpiece!
Namaste, Michael K. Star